RSS Feed

First EVER CrossFit class!

SEE ME ON THE BLOG! :)

http://crossfitnorthhollywood.com/2009/05/13/090513-wednesday/


Today was a strong day all around.

Breakfast was a nice bowl of trader joe's oh's; Lunch was a scallop and shrimp salad (from UGO bar in Culver City); Snack was a 1/4 c. of mixed nuts; Dinner was a footlong turkey from subway (on WHEAT of course people!)

After such a good run yesterday I was hoping I wouldn't fizzle out on tonight's scheduled Crossfit workout. Luckily - probably based on my wise food choices, why stop at only a good diet?- I was able to stick it out and head over to our Friends in NoHo and do my very first crossfit work out. Tim, Kris and Carly were awesome. They are super nice and welcoming. FIRST we began with some kettle bell swings, then some kettle bell swings over your head (but not TOO far over), then we did some kettle bell pivots -still over head, followed by some kettle bell figure 8's between the legs. Then we did figure 8s that came up to our chest and we strung them together. These were hard! [little did I know ... this was actually the easiest thing we did all night!] The outside of my forearms and the outside arches on my feet were hurting but it felt good.
NEXT we did some cleans - I think that's what they're called. Basically its the basic weight lifter's stance, starting at the shoulder you push press up to full arm extension. We did these with PVC pipes to work on our form. It really helped me not get freaked out about starting out.
THE WOD- w.o.d. stands for Workout of the day.
6 Rounds (for time of course)
  • 30 air squats
  • 10 pull ups
  • 5 thrusters (recommended for women was 85 lb.)... i did 40
They scaled this work out to fit me since I was a first time crossfitter. I did 10 pull ups on the rings. You put your body into a slight incline, then you pull yourself forward using the rings.
They told me they would be impressed if I made it through 3 rounds. I was hopeful that I could make it to 3 too...

I was able to do FIVE ROUNDS! I couldn't believe it! I wanted to quit after three. My arms were jelly, i could barely breathe, my legs were mad at me for being so out of shape but somehow, someway I was able to finish. Kris and Tim were super supportive! Both insisted on my form and how to best help me, rather than yelling at me to just hurry up and finish. Kris did yell, but i liked it! She's got this military type persona and I feel like it's going to help me get acclimated to the academy yelling during PT (even if its only a little yelling)

I have NEVER sweat so much in my life. It was truly amazing. I was able to do 5 rounds in 19 minutes - I was so encouraged that I don't have as far to go as I thought I did. I mean I DEFINITELY have a lot of work to do, but if i know that the road won't be as tough as I imagined, I'll get to where I need to be that much faster!

Tomorrow and Thursday are rest days. I'm planning on running Friday after work, then Saturday is softball.

Thanks Tom for the support! I had an awesome time tonight at Crossfit - even if i DID feel like I was going to die!

0 comments: